knitternun

Saturday, June 06, 2009

Rule of St Benedict Reading for June 6, 2009

Chapter 7: On Humility
The eighth degree of humility
is that a monk do nothing except what is commended
by the common Rule of the monastery
and the example of the elders.


Some thoughts:

Imagine this! You are part of a community and you have voluntarily accepted that for the rest of your life, you will live according to the RB as it is practiced within that community. You have also accepted that you will learn from those who entered the monastery before you. Except when asked, you will not offer your own opinions (hard for me). You will do as your are told (hard for me). And what's hardest, at least for me, to commit to something that is not of my own intellect, arrived at through my personal struggle to understand what the rip is going on around me.

OK, that's how today's reading challenges me. How does it challenge you?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home