knitternun

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Secret Committees in TEC

So there's this secret committee studying the GLBQ issue. We know there are 4 conservatives and 4 liberals and Bishop Parsley, presumably one of the conservatives is the chair.

I would not be surprised if ,when the subcommittee eventually produces a
report, we see well-reasoned academic responses, four in favor of and four
against.

Will this be worth waiting for?


No.

For one thing, what could any such report contain that could possibly be new information?

But more importantly no rationale that makes any sense has been offered for the secrecy . Even more importantly than that are the Biblical injunctions to avoid secrecy because things hidden in the dark rot.

I can't speak for anyone but myself but I say Enough Already. I think the reason for the continued delay and secrecy is that those who oppose full inclusion of GLBT into the complete life of TEC know very well that they are fighting a lost cause and that were the vote to take place on the first day (an excellent suggestion), they would lose.

Additionally, any mention of polyandry, polygamy, polyamory should be outed for the red herrings they are, diverting attention for the real and true comparison: the Civil Rights Movement. And I don't mean in the legal sense, I mean in the spiritual sense where those who believed that non-white people were soulless and were animals.

Why do I say that? I've been reading about this issue for years and the loudest voices against full inclusion of GLBT seem to me those who believe that GLBT are without souls who have committed sins so grievous that even God Her/Himself could not forgive.

And there we have the basic bottom-line flaw in all of their arguments. All human beings are created in the image and likeness of God. And do I really have to cite Bible verses such as "all have sinned and all have fallen short of the shekinah of God?" Or the many times the Bible tells us that God has forgiven what we ourselves might never forgive another person? Or the many cads and scoundrels mentioned in the Bible who are also the beloved of God because they loved Him. What hubris on the part of those opposed to full inclusion to think they know better than God.

I know my passion may offend some. I am truly sorry for that but I am only saying honestly, transparency and with no secrecy how strongly I feel about this.

Put it to the vote, authorize the Same Sex Blessing Liturgy and bear witness to the world that in TEC everyone has a voice in God's choir and the Episcopal Church truly welcomes everyone.

Then let us move on to other pressing issues such as feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, caring for the sick, providing for those who are unable to provide for themselves, visiting all imprisoned whether in jail or by fear and preaching the Good News.

And let's face it: what we've been doing in The Epsicopal Church is hardly good news.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home