knitternun

Sunday, December 03, 2006

Did God choose for the Incarnation to result in a male?

The question which is the title of this essay was asked on an email list on which I participate. I answered:

I find myself wondering if "plan" is even the right concept. "Plan" is
such a very human construct so how can we apply it to God? For that
matter, "plan" implies cause and effect linear time and since God is
outside of time, how can cause and effect linear time even apply to
Him?

IMO, one of the problems with post-modern questions such as "how do we
know it was even God's plan that Jesus be male" or however it was that
the question was first phrased, is that such post-modern questions are
always starting from the finite human POV and attempting to apply that
to the Most High as if He were subject to our limitations. Which
clearly He is not.

For some of us on this list, even asking the question startles us
because it challenges our presupposition that God is Who He says He is
and can be trusted 100%.

We have to realize that the presuppositions behind the question" how
do we know it was even God's plan..." are different. And one of the
presuppositions is "what can we trust?"

Perhaps the most constructive response to post-modern questions is not
to treat them as silly, but to backtrack to the underlying
presuppositions and deal with those? Rather than to go on the
defensive ( because I can't think of another word) about how wrong it
is to even ask such a question?

I dunno. I just toss these ideas out. I am trying out these ideas in
my own mind. I've brought up the idea of our various presuppositions
in the past and not generated much interest but I think our
presuppositions are crucial. And what's more, for most of us on this list, except for possibly a handful of exceptions,our theological grounding is modern, not post-modern. Assuming, of course, that we agree that the modern era began with the Reformation.

It seems obvious to me those who ask the post-modern questions do not
share a modern theological grounding. It seems to me also that this
list has a wonderful opportunity to dialogue, rather than browbeat
each other.

It has been clear from previous posts, that I really have very little
patience with the post-modern questions. I feel this has been a
mistake on my part. It seems to me that rather than get all defensive
over the teachings of the church, perhaps it would be better for me to
regard such questions as an opportunity for loving evangelism.

After all, God is Truth and there is no question that can be asked
that will ever change that. And such I think is what most necessarily
to communicate to the post-moderns.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home