knitternun

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Reading for April 8, 2008 (Really short and I apologize)

April 8, August 8, December 8
Chapter 55: On the Clothes and Shoes of the Brethren

For bedding let this suffice:
a mattress, a blanket, a coverlet and a pillow.

The beds, moreover, are to be examined frequently by the Abbot,
to see if any private property be found in them.
If anyone should be found to have something
that he did not receive from the Abbot,
let him undergo the most severe discipline.

And in order that this vice of private ownership
may be cut out by the roots,
the Abbot should provide all the necessary articles:
cowl, tunic, stockings, shoes, belt,
knife, stylus, needle, handkerchief, writing tablets;
that all pretext of need may be taken away.
Yet the Abbot should always keep in mind
the sentence from the Acts of the Apostles
that "distribution was made to each according as anyone had need" (Acts 4:35).
In this manner, therefore,
let the Abbot consider weaknesses of the needy
and not the ill-will of the envious.
But in all his decisions
let him think about the retribution of God.

Some thoughts:

Maybe I am too exhausted to think, but I have nothing to add to this that I didn;t say yesterday. I hope I am not taking the lazy way out. I look forward to what others have to say, especially if they disagree with me.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home