knitternun

Monday, June 22, 2009

Saying of the Desert Christians: Silence 2

from:http://www.cin.org/dsrtft9.html



A brother in scetis went to ask for a word from abba Moses and the old man said to him, "Go and sit in your cell and your cell will teach you everything."


Some thoughts:

After studying these Sayings for a long time now, I have to admit that for many years I did not understand this. But now it is one of my favorites. What does it say to me? Stay put. Don't wander around looking for something better. Stay and absorb what is right under your nose. This Saying so used to mystify me and now I feel so at home with it. Stay where I am, follow the Rule God gave me, concentrate on this.

Of course, for those who like to keep their options open, this Saying may strike them as nuts. The thing I have always thought about "keeping one's options open" is that one will not settle to see the good that is today, the good God has for one in a certain way or place. "Keeping one's options open" means one will miss out on the glorious gifts God would give. IMO, anyway. What's yours?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home