knitternun

Saturday, July 04, 2009

Saying of the Desert Christians: Gentleness 1

from: http://www.cin.org/dsrtft11.html

Abba Nilus said, "Prayer is the seed of gentleness and the absence of anger."

Some thoughts

I read or heard many a definition, description, or teaching about the nature of prayer, how it works, how do do it etc. But nothing as succinct as this.

This reads to me like a cause and effect. If prays then gentleness will develop within a person and anger will depart. Isn't this good news? Isn't this full of hope?

Gentleness and lack of anger seem to me to be counter to the society in which I live. Gentle people are mocked or walked all over. I hear all the time that we have a right to our anger.

This short little Saying is in stark contrast, is it not? It reminds me once again that what God values is outta step with the values of my culture. But where would I rather fit in? With my society? Or with God?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home