knitternun

Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Saying of the Desert Christians: Hospitality 3

A brother came to see a certain hermit and, as he was leaving, he said, "Forgive me Abba for preventing you from keeping your rule." The hermit replied, "My rule is to welcome you with hospitality and to send you away in peace."


Some thoughts

This is another of my personal favorites. I love the idea that someone might switch from life as usual to entertain the guest. Yesterday people were making comparisons to the Eucharist. I think it goes deeper, though. It is not just that we see reflections of the Eucharist, it is that the Desert Christians were a living Eucharist, offering themselves every day to God and neighbor. At least, that's how it reads to me.

What do you think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home