knitternun

Monday, February 25, 2008

Reading 02/25/08

Today's reading from the Rule of St. Benedict http://www.osb.org/rb/

February 25, June 26, October 26
Chapter 19: On the Manner of Saying the Divine Office

We believe that the divine presence is everywhere
and that "the eyes of the Lord
are looking on the good and the evil in every place" (Prov. 15:3).
But we should believe this especially without any doubt
when we are assisting at the Work of God.
To that end let us be mindful always of the Prophet's words,
"Serve the Lord in fear" (Ps. 2:11)
and again "Sing praises wisely" (Ps. 46:8)
and "In the sight of the Angels I will sing praise to You" (Ps. 137:1).
Let us therefore consider how we ought to conduct ourselves
in sight of the Godhead and of His Angels,
and let us take part in the psalmody in such a way
that our mind may be in harmony with our voice.
++++++++++

Some Thoughts:

I have to ask myself... do I really live as if I believe the divine presences is everywhere and the eyes of the Lord are gazing at me? You wouldn't know it from the comments I make to other drivers on the freeway. mercifully, they can't hear my unloving and unlovable comments.

Benedict says we should be especially aware of this during the "work of God" which we know is praying the daily office.

Benedict invited us to "take part in the psalmody in such a way that our mind may be in harmony with our voice." Paul tells us to be transformed by the renewal of our minds.

Yes, please.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home