knitternun

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Saying of the Desert Christians: True Peace 4

from http://www.cin.org/dsrtftin.html

A brother asked abba Poemen, "How should I behave in my cell in the place where I am living?" He replied, "Behave as if you were a stranger, and wherever you are, do not expect your words to have an influence and you will be at peace."


To be honest, this Saying did not make much sense to me the first few times I've read it. After all, how can we possibly live in our own homes as if we were a stranger to it? Then I realized a stranger would be on her or his best behavior. A stranger would always be polite, treat everything with respect. A stranger would know that conversation would be for mutual enjoyment. And a stranger who criticizes would probably not be asked back, let alone have the criticism be embraced.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home