knitternun

Sunday, August 02, 2009

Saying of the Desert Christians: Prayer 2

from: http://www.thenazareneway.com/paradise_of_the_desert_fathers.htm

Abba Lot went to see Abba Joseph and he said to him, "Abba, as far as I can, I say my little office, I fast a little, I pray and meditate, I live in peace and as far as I can I purify my thoughts. What else can I do?" Then the old man stood up and stretched his hands toward heaven; his fingers became like ten lamps of fire and he said to him, "If you will, you can become all flame."

Some thoughts:

This is it. This is my number one favorite saying of them all. This describes what I long to be: consumed by the love of God. This Saying teaches me that if "I say my little office, I fast a little, I pray and meditate, I live in peace and as far as I can I purify my thoughts" I too might become all flame.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home